Tel: (805) 962-0011, ext. 126
Fax: (805) 965-3978
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Real Estate Litigation
Mr. Haskell’s practice involves complex business litigation focused on construction and real estate disputes. Construction matters include both private and public works, and include a full range of claims involving architects, engineers, contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, project owners, public agencies, lenders, and bond sureties.
He has also counseled general contractors, design professionals, and project owners on preventive construction practices, the drafting of contracts, and other construction documents. Mr. Haskell has taught numerous seminars on construction matters, including on construction contracts, mechanic lien remedies, and green/sustainable construction.
In real estate matters, Mr. Haskell has litigated numerous nondisclosure cases, typically involving the sale of large residential properties in the Tri Counties area. He has also handled commercial and residential landlord-tenant disputes, easement and boundary disputes, and disputes with insurance companies. Mr. Haskell has also represented numerous homeowners associations, and presented seminars regarding association litigation.
- Middlebury College (B.A., 1981)
- Northwestern School of Law, Lewis & Clark College (J.D., 1985)
- Member, Environmental Law Review
- Trial Advocacy Award Recipient
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of law (LL.M., Transnational Business and Tax, 1986)
- Judicial Extern to the Honorable Robert E. Jones, Oregon Supreme Court (1985)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern, Central, Eastern and Southern Districts of California
- Martindale-Hubbell (AV Rating)
- Avvo (Excellent Rating)
- Oregon State Bar Association
- Santa Barbara County Bar Association (Civil Litigation Section Chair, 2003-2004)
- The State Bar of California
- William L. Gordon Inn of Court (Master)
- Mock Court Judge
- William Sansum Diabetes Center (Executive Committee (2007-2013); Board of Trustees (2003-2013); Chairman (2011-2012); Immediate Past President (2013))
- The Center for Entrepreneurship, Ethics and Enterprise (Advisory Board)
- Eucalyptus Homeowners Association (Past President (1999), Board of Directors, Executive Committee Member, 1996 – 1999)
- Santa Barbara Christian School (Executive Committee Member, 2003 – 2006)
- Santa Barbara Rescue Mission (Executive Committee Member, 1996 – 2002)
- The Semana Nautica Association (Executive Committee Member, 1993 – 1996)
- Atascadero Factory Outlets, Inc. v. Augustini & Wheeler LLP (2000) 83 Cal. App. 4th 717.
- Cates Construction, Inc. v. Talbot Partners (1999) 21 Cal. 4th 28
- Fluent in French