Mr. Amspoker’s practice involves public agency and real estate matters, focusing on eminent domain and real estate litigation, and general litigation.
Mr. Amspoker has represented major public agencies throughout the State of California, and has substantial experience with acquiring properties for virtually all types of public projects, including major mass transit projects, freeway and road projects, water projects, utility projects, school projects and park projects. He has also represented many private property owners in eminent domain proceedings throughout the state. His last two trials for property owners resulted in jury verdicts decisively in his clients’ favor, including a very recent trial in the San Joaquin Valley in which he recovered a $1.96 million jury verdict in the exact amount of the appraisal opinions presented by Mr. Amspoker at trial.
Mr. Amspoker also has a broad practice in general litigation matters, including financial disputes, estate disputes, and real estate litigation including easement and boundary disputes. He also has significant experience with property tax appeals. He also drafts agreements for public agency and private clients, including sales agreements, easement agreements and other types of agreements involving real property.
Mr. Amspoker has conducted a substantial number of jury trials in his legal career. His trial practice has taken him to all areas of the state, including the Bay Area, the San Joaquin Valley, the Central Coast, and Southern California.
Mr. Amspoker has written and spoken extensively with respect to eminent domain and public agency law subjects. He is a member of the International Right of Way Association and in 2001 served as President of the Association’s Chapter 47. He is an author of several chapters included in the International Right of Way Association’s textbook, Principles of Right of Way (2012 edition).
- University of California at Irvine (B.A., cum laude, 1980)
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law (J. D., 1983)
- The State Bar of California (Litigation and Public Law Sections)
- Santa Barbara County Bar Association
- International Right of Way Association (President, Chapter 47, 2001)
- Sanders v. East Bay Mun. Utility Dist. (1993) 16 Cal. App. 4th 125
- Baugh v. Garl (2006) 137 Cal. App. 4th 737
- Golden Gate Land Holdings v. East Bay Regional Park District (2013) 215 Cal. App. 4th 353